Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Now in Kakamega










As Scott says below, the trip's been great so far. There is a humorous side to us trucking this big box of donations all across the country. It's right out of a Laurel and Hardy comedy movie, watching us with bus and taxi drivers trying to cram this large box into the smallest trunks. It will be nice once we deliver the contents, but for now the fun continues. And we've had some fun with our Swahili - I tried to use it at the bus station, and the lady said 'Where did you learn your Swahili?', and I proudly said 'Off the Internet', and she said 'It's maybe better someone teach you'. Yes, that's what SHE said. Then I realized that what I told her was that 'she was going to Kakamega', not us. FAIL! We'll keep trying. Kakamega is right out of an Indiana Jones movie. Pictures don't really do it justice, as you need all senses active to get a sense of the place, the sights, the smells, the sounds, it's quite something. Having a great time. We're not sick yet, other than being sick of banging our heads on the roof of the bus during the drive up from Nakuru. Tomorrow should be a fun day. I am missing Ute, Michael and Nikki (and of course Buddy), dreamed about them last night, funny how when you travel, you never really leave home.